Thursday, December 11, 2025

Advent, Day Twelve

Advent, Day Twelve
We must continually remind ourselves that the first commandment requiring us to love God with all our heart, all our soul, and all our mind is indeed the first, I wonder if we really believe this. It seems that in fact we live as if we should give as much of our heart, soul and mind as possible to our fellow human beings, while trying hard not to forget God... But Jesus' claim is much more radical. He asks for a single-minded commitment to God and God alone. God wants all of hearts, all of our mind and all of our soul.

Henri J.M. Nouwen
The Living Reminder: Service and Prayer in the Memory of Jesus, pg 31

Scripture:
34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment.   Matthew 22:34-38


====

First Presbyterian Church Advent - 2020

Prayer

 God, how wise You were to allow us to parent little ones.

As infants, they are completely and totally dependent on us. What a careful reminder they are for us to depend on You. You clothe the flowers in the field and feed the birds of the air. May we trust that You will provide and care for us unfathomably more.

As toddlers, they are exploring everything around them. What a wonderful reminder to pay attention to the gifts with which You have surrounded us. For every good and perfect gift comes from You and You are unchanging in Your love for us.

As children, they are delighted with imagination and adventure. What a precious reminder that You are so much bigger than we can know. For we are Your masterpiece created to join alongside You in the amazing things You’ve planned.

Heavenly Father, when You gave me this little one, You gave me a glimmer of how I am loved by you. This little one, though exhausting at times, Will forever be mine. May I lavish my love on them as You have lavished Your love on me.

May I show them grace as you continue to offer it to me. May I teach them in the way that they should go as I look to You to guide my way. May I continue to grow in understanding of You as I parent this child.

Father, I don’t know which path this journey will take us. I can’t control every decision my child will make but may I have peace, knowing that You hold this child in Your hands and love them beyond my depth of understanding. Amen.

Scripture

 “Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel because he has come to his people and redeemed them. He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David (as he said through his holy prophets of long ago), salvation from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us to show mercy to our ancestors and to remember his holy covenant, the oath he swore to our father Abraham: to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear in holiness and righteousness before him all our days. And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him, to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.”
Luke 1:68-79


No comments:

Post a Comment