Saturday, December 13, 2025

Advent, Day Fourteen

Advent, Day Fourteen
I am deeply moved by the simple and mysterious encounter [of the Visitation]... Two women meet each other and affirm in each other the promise given to them. The humanly impossible has happened to them. God has come to them to begin the salvation promised through the ages. Through these two women God has decided to change the course of history. Who could ever understand? Who could ever believe it? Who could ever let it happen... For three months Mary and Elizabeth live together and encourage each other to truely accept the motherhood given to them. Mary's presence makes Elizabeth more fully aware of becoming the mother of the "prophet of the Most High" (Luke 1:76), and Elizabeth's presence allows Mary to grow in the knowledge of becoming the Mother of the "Son of the Most High" (Luke 1:32).

The story of the Visitation teaches me the meaning of friendship and community. How can I ever let God's grace fully work in my life unless I live in a community of people who can affirm it, deepend it, and strengthen it?

Henri J.M. Nouwen
The Road to Daybreak: A Spiritual Journey, pg 28

Scripture:
39 At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40 where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.   56 Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months and then returned home.     Luke 1:39-41, 56

 

 

First Presbyterian Church Advent - 2020

Prayer

 

Almighty Father,

We confess that many things in this world grab our attention and shift it away from You. We have become hurried and impatient people. We have become so tunnel-visioned that we have forgotten to care about the journey. 
But still, You are merciful. Teach me how to be patient again. 

Help me learn to look for You while I’m waiting. Help me to learn how to grow closer to You even as I longingly wait for You to draw near. May I learn to trust You in the process. May I experience firsthand Your perfect timing, even when it is at odds with my agenda.

As I develop my patience with You, may that then reflect in developing patience with others, my family, my neighbors, my co-workers, and even my enemies. May my life bear fruit that brings You glory. Thank You for being ever so patient with me, Amen.

Scripture

 

While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger because there was no guest room available for them.
Luke 2:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment