The word "listening" in Latin is "obedire" and "audire" means "Listening with great attention." That is where the word "obedience" comes from. Jesus is called the obedient one, that means the listener. The Latin word for not listening, being deaf, is "surdus." If you are absolutely not listening, that is where the word "absurd" comes from. So it might be interesting to note that somebody who is not listening is leading an absurd life....
Now to become a listener, one way to do it is to day, "How can I let the 'Lord is my Shepherd, there is nothing I shall want,'" enter in from my mind to my heart? I can say it is here and that is just a statement, but it becomes prayer when I experience the shepherding prescence of God in the center of my being... Listening starts precisely when you move from the mind to the heart and let the truth of your being center you down.
Henri J.M. Nouwen
Discovering Our Gift Through Service to Others, Speech given to members of Fadica, 1994
Scripture:
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.
Psalm 23:1-4, 6
First Presbyterian Church Advent - 2020
Prayer
Father,
You are the greatest gift giver. It is an extraordinary gift and responsibility to be a parent. I am overwhelmed by the gift of Your son, Jesus. I am comforted by the promise that You are with us always.
Thank you for the joy that my teenager brings into my life. Hearing them laugh and seeing their smile, watching them use the gifts and passions You’ve instilled, witnessing kindness, patience, and wise decisions, and learning what is on their heart are all incredible gifts. Help me to lead and love my child well.
Navigating this world can be confusing and growing in independence, confidence, and wisdom is monumental at this time for them. Help them look to You for a sense of identity and belonging. Place friends and mentors in the life of my teen, who will encourage, have fun with, and bring wisdom into their life.
When my child feels lost, isolated, anxious, or fearful, God, show up in a way that they feel Your presence in a personal way that they cannot deny. This Advent may my family cling to Your goodness and promises. May we have great joy in togetherness, sharing old and new traditions, making memories that we will carry with us for years to come.
May we focus on Jesus, and the gift He is. And, may we find ways to shine our light in the darkness, so that others will see You through us. I am grateful for Jesus, my Teacher, Friend, Miracle Worker, Savior, and Lord, and it’s in His name I pray, Amen.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. - James 1:17
Scripture
In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) And everyone went to their own town to register. So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.
Luke 2:1-5
No comments:
Post a Comment