Thursday, December 4, 2025

Advent, Day Five

Advent, Day Five
If you want to follow Jesus...[you must] control what you take in every day. When you are on the bus or subway, or in your car, why busy your mind with all the garbage of advertisements? Why fill your mind with television and radio? Somehow you have to decide what your mind will recieve. I don't mean you shouldn't ever go to movies or watch television, but control what enters your mind and heart. It's not just a question of pushing bad things out but a question of holding on to something really good.

It is good to have a prayer on your lips when you are free to pray. When you are waiting for the cashier in the supermarket, getting mad because he or she doesn't hurry, say a little prayer: "Lord, Jesus Christ, have mercy on me." Take that prayer with you wherever you go.

Henri J.M. Nouwen
Liguorian Magazine, October 1992

Scripture:
12 Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who work hard among you, who care for you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.    1 Thessalonians 5:12-18

===

First Presbyterian Church Advent - 2020

Prayer

 

A Prayer for a Quiet Morning at Home

Heavenly Father,

Draw close to my heart. In all that I do today, help me to be motivated by Your love and grace. In the stillness of my morning, I will fix my gaze on You and You alone. 

No matter what is on my to-do list or what today holds, I will be still in this moment and trust in You. Be my champion and my advocate. Give me energy and enthusiasm to face the day. 

Help me to trust in Your sovereign plans. I don’t need to know the whole path, Lord. Just give me wisdom to know what the next step is that You are calling me to take. Amen.

Let the dawning day bring me revelation of your tender, unfailing love. Give me light for my path and teach me, for I trust in you. Save me from all my enemies, for I hide myself in you. I just want to obey all you ask of me. So teach me, Lord, for you are my God. Your gracious Spirit is all I need, 
so lead me on good paths that are pleasing to you, my one and only God! - Psalm 143:8-10

Scripture

 Zechariah asked the angel, “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.” The angel said to him, “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time.” Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zechariah and wondering why he stayed so long in the temple. When he came out, he could not speak to them. They realized he had seen a vision in the temple, for he kept making signs to them but remained unable to speak. When his time of service was completed, he returned home. After this his wife Elizabeth became pregnant and for five months remained in seclusion. “The Lord has done this for me,” she said. “In these days he has shown his favor and taken away my disgrace among the people.”
Luke 1:18-25


No comments:

Post a Comment