Monday, March 23, 2026

Lent, Day Thirty-Four, Fifth Monday of Lent

Lent, Day Thirty-Four, Fifth Monday of Lent
Let me retain innocence and simplicity in the midst of this complex world. I realize that I have to be informed, that I have to study, the many problems facing the world, and that I have to try to understand as well as possible the dynamics of our contemporary society. But what really counts is that all this information, knowledge and insight allow me to speak more clearly and unambiguously your truthful word. Do not allow evil powers to seduce me with the complexities of the world's problems, but give the strength to think clearly, speak freely, and act boldly in your service.

Henri J.M. Nouwen
A Cry For Mercy: Prayers From the Genesee, pg 68

Scripture:
16 “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 17 Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. 18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
Matthew 10:16-20

PRAYER
Holy God, I sometimes lack the courage to live out my Christian convictions, especially as I confront a world in which knowledge is often corrupted and information is twisted to fit the circumstances. All these complexities can overshadow the Good News of the Gospels and manipulate this world of ours toward disaster. Grant me the courage to show the dove of innocence and simplicity in a world so full of serpents. Give me strength to remain detached from the world's destructiveness and 'help me to proclaim the goodness of God with boldness and assurance. Amen.


LENTEN ACTION
Pray the rosary today, meditating on the sorrowful mysteries If possible, give a rosary to someone as a gift, along with instructions on how to pray it, if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment