Advent, Day Twelve of the Christmas Season
Today is the feast of the Baptism of Jesus, a dark and rainy day. At the [Lourdes] grotto, everything speaks of water-the rushing Gave River, the drizzling rain from the cloudy sky...
I want to be purified... I go to the baths. There, two men instruct me to undress. They wrap a blue apron around my waist, ask me to concentrate on what intercessions I want to ask of Mary, then lead me into the bath and immerse me in the ice-code water. When I stand again, they pray the Hail Mary and give me a cup of water from the spring... Still shivering and wet, I put my clothes back on, go back to the grotto and pray. Looking up at the statue, I read the words: "I am the Immaculate Conception," and I understand. The people of Israel led through the Red Sea; Jesus was baptized in the Jordan; someone poured water over my head shortly after I was born. Blessed are the pure of heart; they shall see God.
Henri J.M. Nouwen
Jesus and Mary: Finding Our Sacred Center, pg 34-36
Scripture:
9 At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11 And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.” Mark 1:9-11
No comments:
Post a Comment