Saturday, January 3, 2026

Advent, Day Ten of the Christmas Season

Advent, Day Ten of the Christmas Season
In order to become like the Father, I must be as generous as the Father is generous... Every time I take a step in the direction of generosity, I know that I am moving from fear to love. But these steps, certainly at first, are hard to take because there are so many emotions and feelings that hold me back from freely giving. Why should I give energy, time, money, and yes, even attention to someone who has offended me?....

Still...the truth is that in a spiritual sense, the one who has offended me belongs to my "kin", my "gen." The word "generosity" includes the term "gen" which we also find in the words "gender," "generation," and "generativity." This term, from the Latin genus and the Greek genos, refers to our being of one kind. Generosity is a giving that comes from the knowledge of that intimate bond. True generosity is acting on the truth--not the feeling--that those I am asked to forgive are "kinfolk," and belong to my family.

Henri J.M. Nouwen
The Return of the Prodigal Son, pg 131-132

Scripture:
Be still before the Lord
    and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when people succeed in their ways,
    when they carry out their wicked schemes.
Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
    do not fret—it leads only to evil.
For those who are evil will be destroyed,
    but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.
16 Better the little that the righteous have
    than the wealth of many wicked;
 21 The wicked borrow and do not repay,
    but the righteous give generously;
Psalm 37:7-9, 16, 21

No comments:

Post a Comment