Friday, February 27, 2026

Lent, Day Ten, First Friday of Lent

Lent, Day Ten, First Friday of Lent
Jesus described the intimacy that he offers as the connectedness between the vine and the branches. I long to be grafter onto Jesus as a branch onto the vine so that all my life comes from the vine. In communion with Jesus, the vine, my little life can grow and bear fruit. I know it, but I do not live it. Somehow I keep living as if there are other sources of life that I must explore, outside of Jesus. But Jesus keeps saying, "Come back to me, give me all your burdens, all your worries, fears and anxieties. Trust that with me you will find rest.".

Henri J.M. Nouwen
Sabbatical Journey: The Diary of His Final Year, pg 20

Scripture:

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

John 15:1-5

PRAYER
Generous God, pruner and harvester of all my human efforts, teach me how to celebrate life's pains and sorrows so that I can discover in them a deeper love of you and a stronger hope in your promises. Let me not see loss and failure as setbacks, but as opportunities for a more fruitful life. May you always abide in me. Amen.

LENTEN ACTION
Review a past sorrow and find in it one positive outcome. Discipline yourself to show gratitude throughout this day on at least several occasions. Look even in the smallest corners for opportunities to nurture a thankful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment